ADR Project

Summary

I was given a video clip with audio that we recorded on the standard camera microphone and I was also given five audio clips that had been recorded after the video was made. Then I was told to match the audio up to the video clip as best as possible.

Film Before Visual ADR

Film After Visual ADR

ADR Practice Audio

ADR Process

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.58.55 AM

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.49.26 AM

Audio ADR Preparation

Audio ADR is when an actor matches their lines to the sound of the original audio (AKA scratch track)

ADR Terms

ADR – Automated Dialogue Replacement

Looping – Having multiple takes and being able to choose the best take

Visual ADR – Actor visually matching lip sync

Audio ADR – Actor matches the sound of original audio

Audio Post-production Terms

Equalizer – Boosts or cuts the amplitude of specific frequencies

High Shelf – Raising a frequency

Low Shelf  – Lowering a frequency

Low pass filter – Completely cuts all high sound

High pass filter – Completely cuts all low sound

First order filter – Type of filter a car uses, able to boost or lower Treble, Mid, and Bass

Second order filter – AKA Peaking Filter or Parametric EQ, Can boost/ lower frequency, can boost/cut with gain, and can widen the value of the parabola with Q.

Notch Cut or Band Stop filter- Cuts an area of sound by using Q in a second order filter.

Graphic Equalizer – Behaves the same as Second order filters, but uses sliders for EQ values

Equalizers: Fix inadequacies in the recording, Mix audio, and to make a track sound better or different.

Dynamic Range – difference between the very soft and very loud

Compressor – makes the difference between the very soft and very loud noise smaller, by making higher values softer. Makes audio sound louder and more powerful.

Expander or Noise Gate – like a compressor, but makes lower values softer

Multiband Compressor – combines the bands of EQ with the ability of a compressor.

Noise Reduction with a Fast Fourier Transformer – Takes a snap shot of the noise, and removes the un-wanted noise from the track. By removing all the background noise, Chirping can occur.

Delay filter – creates Audio Combing, can add a unique value to a project

Reverb – sum of lots of varied echoes, simulates the appearance of space in sound

Phase Vocoders and Sinusoidal Spectral Modeling – stretches or squishes waveforms (EX: auto tune)

Problem I solved  and the things I learned

Overall I didn’t have many problems  The only thing that came up  was that the exporting process was working correctly  but I eventually figured out that I had to change the file location. The main thing I learned  was how to use GarageBand.