My Stretch Goal for May 2020

CC image Coding by Code Life at Flickr
  • Role – Producer
  • SMART Goal – By May 29th, while working independently following the producer’s skill pathway and by using unity and visual studio, I will have completed development on a 2D beat ’em up style video game demo character that will reach different stages of completion over the next 3 weeks for my May 2020 Stretch Goal.
  • How – I plan to set aside time throughout the week in order to make progress on development.
  • When – I plan to work on the game once a day but if that is not possible I at least want to make progress every other day
  • Resources – The resources that I will use include Unity Visual Studio, The Spriters resource all on my computer, and a pixel painting application from my phone
  • Milestones – May 15 I want to have the menu and character menu basic functionality complete as well as mechanics for the at least one characters complete including movement and combat. May 22 I want to have all character’s mechanics fully working such as player health. May 29 I want to add polish to all mechanics and menus to keep the style consistent throughout the entire project.
  • Heroines / Heroes – The person that I look up to in this role is Cory Balrog who worked on the first, second, and most recent god of war games and was the director for the second and most recent game. although technically he is not the producer the description of his job and the producer role are almost identical so I felt that he was a good pick for someone to look up to.
  • more information about Cory Balrog can be found below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Barlog

• Documentation 

I wanted to have had both main menu and character menu functionality as well as having basic character movement and combat done as of May 15th. I was able to achieve my goal and did so by spending three days laser-focused on completing this task. I did not finish all the characters but I did not plan on doing that this week I wanted to have just one done so that next week I already have all the code needed and just need to create those characters in their scenes. Below is a video that explains and showcases my work in more detail. I decided not to use photos for this update because I felt that the video did a good job of showing what I wanted to.

I wanted to have the additional mechanics for the games player such as health complete. I was able to complete this task as of May 21st. However when I went onto my computer on May 22nd to gather the documentation for this blog post I discovered a number of my files had corrupted including the scene within unity that contained most of the work for my stretch goal. I plan to simply continue with the work I planned to do next week which was to add final polish to the work that I have done.

My original plan for this final update to my stretch goal was to simply work on the menu of the game giving in some polish since that was just about the only scene that had not been affected by the corruption of my files. However I was able to do that and then some since I was able to restore the scene that had been erased because the assets used to make them had survived the corruption. I added some polish to the background of the title scene so that it was more in line with the pixel theme found throughout the game. after restoring the scenes that had been corrupted I was able to add a heath mechanic to the player effectively finishing development of that part of the game.